1. Although the growth in Canada's population had slowed down by 1966 (the increase the first half of the 1960's was only nine percent) , another large population wave was coming over the horizon. It would be composed of the children who were born during the period of the high birth rate prior to 1957.
The phrase "prior to" is closest in meaning to which of following?
2. Their light was already halfway here before the Earth even formed. The light from the nearby Virgo galaxy set out when reptiles still dominated the animal world.
The word "dominated" is closest in meaning to which of following?
(C) were developing in
(D) were prevalent in
- Throughout the nineteenth century and into the twentieth, citizens of the United States maintained a bias against big cities.
The word "bias" is closest in meaning to which of following?
- The land surrounding Boston had always been poor farm country, and by the mid-eighteenth century it was virtually stripped of its timber. The available farmland was occupied; there was little in the region beyond the city to attract immigrants.
The word "virtually" is closest in meaning to which of following?
(C) very quickly
(D) almost completely
- The willingness of local landowners to participate in this protection effort may have been stimulated by concerns that Congress would impose a legislative solution.
The word "stimulated" is closest in meaning to which of following?